Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Have a Crush on Portland

Update: This post is very old. But I was busy and our camera cord was living in Oregon. Now that I'm only semi-busy and the camera cord has returned, I can finally publish this 2.5 months late. Not too shabby.

As Mrs. Galore so aptly pointed out, we made the trek to Oregon in between Christmas and the New Year. While there, we took a few hours to check out Portland. I always feel I'm cheating on Seattle, since I long to move there.

While there, I snapped the following very crush-worthy photo of prime parking real-estate designated for bikes:



Imagine the same in Seattle right outside of Cupcake Royale in Ballard. In the background of the photo above is Stumptown, which makes a very Seattle-worthy coffee. I always get the sense (as do numerous others when doling out most sustainable city awards) that Portland has a pronounced emphasis on sustainable urban planning. Even the art inside Stumptown reinforces that impression:


I didn't see the name of the artist, but I was a fan of the works on display. Oh, and don't get me started on the Powell's Technical Bookstore. Nerd heaven.

No comments: