Tuesday, November 13, 2007

SYNTHAR revisited

As promised, I wanted to write a bit more about my impressions on the upcoming Synthar album. I listened to it almost all day today to get it into my head (sorry, twin that shares an office with me). Synthar is definitely programmer-approved.

I suppose I should proceed by stating that I think writing about music is a tad ridiculous. It's the same for food. Sorry, music and food critics. These things are just personal preferences.

With that said, I'm a really big fan of the Synthar album (but you should buy it and give it a listen for yerselves). Nice beard, by the way Best :)

A few random thoughts:
  • Beating Drum - love the thick texture, dissonance, and base line on this one, especially right after the first chorus
  • New City - Love the last 2 minutes "It's a full time job to find work" -- again, the texture is great
  • The Robots Among Us - Awesome. Best song on the album.
  • Small Coastal Towns is my favorite lyrically (that includes the words and vocal melodies/harmonies)
  • Similar comment about texture and dissonance (as with Beating Drum) on Hurricanes -- can you tell a fluffy melody is not my thing?
  • Stabbed by an Unseen Blade is incredibly clever lyrically
  • Eyes Shut is a simple and pleasant close to the album with some clever percussion going on in parts
If I were pressed to give a criticism, it would be that I'm not crazy about the first song. The "yeah" and pop/bubblegum chord progression just doesn't do it for me.

All in all, it's a great album and very worthy of purchase, in my opinion. I hope to see Synthar live one day in Seattle, or even better, Ballard.

2 comments:

heidi said...

Ha ha! I can read about your lives now too! :) Mr. Galore, Robots Among Us is my fav too.

heidi said...

PS I second the motion about "thick texture".